Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Submission

I hate to submit. I don't always want to lead, I just don't want to have to listen to someone else. I especially don't like having to change what I want to do because someone else wants something different.

In 1 Cor 16:15-18, Paul describes two kinds of people the Corinthian Christians should submit to. "You know that the household of Stephanas were the first converts in Achaia, and they have devoted themselves to the service of the saints. I urge you, brothers, to submit to such as these and to everyone who joins in the work, and labors at it. I was glad when Stephanas, Fortunatus and Achaicus arrived, because they have supplied what was lacking from you. For they refreshed my spirit and yours also. Such men deserve recognition."

The household of Stephanas had been doing God's work the longest. It's easy to see why Paul might direct the church to submit to them - they'd paid their dues, they had more experience, they had seniority. You might assume Paul is saying, "These folks have earned their spurs; pay attention to them and learn."

Except the second category of people Paul calls the church to submit to is "everyone who joins the work." That's a little harder to swallow; that means some guy who just converted yesterday can direct me.

I wonder about the point Paul is making here. Is he saying that any Christian who is diligently laboring should be heeded? That's a valid interpretation. I remember Blackaby (Desiring God) writing that every time we see God at work, that's an invitation to join. Maybe these busy beavers have every right to ask us to jump in and expect us to comply.

Or maybe this is just a more general point about submitting to one another in order to avoid conflict. Remember, this letter started out with Paul challenging the divisions caused by followers picking their favorite teacher, Paul or Apollos.

Or maybe this was something specific to the church at Corinth; Paul does say that these diligent workers provided what the Corinthian church couldn't, or at least didn't: they refreshed Paul's spirit and that of other Christians. In other words, they came and served, and encouraged. In that case, I need to look at how I support fellow Christians to know if that applies to me.

In any case, this instruction points out something that Paul, and presumably God, values. Obedient living means serving, which among other things will refresh fellow believers. If I'm doing that, I have a right to expect others to help. If I'm not, I'd better find some worker to join. At that point, they have every right to lead, and I should follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment