Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Clear-minded

1 Peter 4:7 The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray.

The verses just preceding this one warned not to go along with worldy pressure - Peter told us it was time to be done with sin. Here he gives a reason, and it's literally the end of the world. All things will pass, he says, and then whatever we've invested here on earth will be worth nothing.

Therefore - because of that fact - I am challenged to be clear minded and self-controlled. 

A clear mind is necessary for sound reasoning and good conclusions and decisions. Without a clear mind, I won't be able to discern the things of the Spirit. With a clear mind, I will be able to see temptation for the bad bargain it really is.

Knowing the right choice doesn't help me, though, if I don't do the right thing. That's where self-control comes in. Self control enables me to say no to bad things, and to discipline myself to do the right things.

So I need a clear mind to know what's right, and self-control to do it. It's a critically important thing, because something precious depends on it: my ability to pray.

The connection isn't completely clear to me, but here's what I think it means: If my mind is clouded by sinful thinking, and I indulge myself in whatever worldly thing catches my fancy, I won't be able to pray according to God's will. I'll pray about things that are unimportant, and I'll ask for things God won't grant. God's wisdom will seem like foolishness to me, and I'll think my own foolishness to be wisdom.

So, a clear mind and self-control - without them praying is just wasted breath. Looks like a good New Year's goal to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment