Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Never fall

 Peter continues to build his chain of logic, starting verse 10 of 2 Peter 1 with the word "Therefore" - substitute "Because of what I just said." And remember, he started the chapter by saying knowlege of God's promises gives us everything we need to live obediently, and if we add spiritual virtues - he listed 7 - to our knowledge, we'll be effective in pursuing holiness. 

Ande then, the sentence right before this one, he says without that you're like a blind man who forgot where His salvation came from.

So, because of that, he says, ". . . my brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall, and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ." (2 Peter 1:10-11).

By God's grace, Paul says, I have the tools. I know what I need to do. To avoid the corruption caused by my sinful desires (v 4) and to avoid stumbling through life like a blind man, I should be eager to secure my place in the kingdom. Eager . . . Hmm, is that a good adjective for my pursuit of holiness?

At first this sounds like works-based salvation: do this, be saved. But the surety referred to in verse 10 is the surety of God's promises, I think. If we take these steps, we'll stay plugged into God's power, and if we do that, we can't fail. We will never fall, because God Himself will hold us.

And when the time comes, our first experience after death will be a "rich welcome" into heaven. All those pictures of soldiers coming home to their families from the war? It'll be something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment