Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Greetings

I often wonder why God chose to use so many letters to communicate to us. And I wonder why, when those letters were canonized in scripture, all of the greetings, openings and closings were included.

Peter's first letter is no exception. He closes this way: "With the help of Silas, whom I regard as a faithful brother, I have written to you briefly, encouraging you and testifying that this is the true grace of God. Stand fast in it. She who is in Babylon, chosen together with you, sends you her greetings, and so does my son Mark. Greet one another with a kiss of love. Peace to all of you who are in Christ." (1 Peter 5:12-14).

The close to Peter's first letter does a few things. First, he shares credit for the letter with Silas; that's a way of building Silas's credibility should he ever minister in the churches where the readers worshipped.

Second, he recaps his purpose: To encourage the Christians and remind them of the reality of God's grace in providing a Savior.

Third, he exhorts them one more time to stand fast in the faith - more encouragement.

And then he passes along greetings from others, an un-named Babylonian woman and Peter's son.

The final words are a blessing.

So, take it all together and I think this is a wonderful example of what Christian fellowship is all about. Build each other up, encourage one another, forge and strengthen the bonds between us, and bless each other with words and deeds.

That must have seemed pretty radical to converted Jews, whose worship community was built on the simple fact of who was ceremonially clean and who wasn't, and who expected to correct problems by killing animals. It also must have seemed radical to pagans, whose worship was all about the demands of their false god.

Is it radical to me? Not really; I see this kind of thing go on in my church all the time. But do I do it myself? Sometimes. But honesty compels me to admit, sometimes not.

No comments:

Post a Comment