Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Jesus' Mission

When it comes to why Jesus came to earth, John is simple to the point of being blunt. "The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work."

That's the end of 1 John 3:8, and it couldn't be more clear. Whatever the devil has done in this world, Jesus will wreck. He's already done the work, he's just delaying the final destruction. And he's only doing that to give people time.

See, the rest of John's message in 1 John 3:7-8, the part right before, is just as simple and clear: "Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous. The one who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning." We - I - have what is called in my trade a binary choice. It's a fork in the road, two options only, doing what's right or doing what's sinful. If I choose what's sinful, then I become part of that devil's work that Jesus is out to destroy.

So our merciful God waits. He created time, so he has all of it there is. I'm the one who doesn't. I'm the one who'd better choose carefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment