Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Spirits

We used to talk about unplanned, spontaneous actions and say, “I just did what the spirit moved me to do.” Back in the day that wasn’t a spiritual thing, it was more rooted in the 60s, but you hear the same thing in contemporary worship these days. Only in that case they’re referring to the actual Spirit.

Here’s the problem with the whole spirit-moving thing: Sometimes the spirits we hear aren’t ones we should listen to. John explains (1 John 4:1-3): "Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see if they are God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming, and even now is already in the world."

There’s only one Spirit I should listen to, and that Spirit will be telling me variations on a single theme. “Jesus is risen! Jesus is Lord! Follow Jesus and live!” He’ll nudge me toward Jesus and discourage me from drifting away.

If I’m getting a different vibe than that, it might very well be a spirit but it’s not one that cares about me. It doesn’t want anything that will be good for me.
Contrary to what we used to think, letting the Spirit move me requires a lot of awareness and careful thought. Acting on a whim isn’t going to do it. Being closely attuned to God, so in touch that I’m Spiritually sensitive, will.

No comments:

Post a Comment