Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, November 5, 2015

heroes and witnesses

I’m behind on my movie watching. I haven’t seen the last two Hobbit movies, and stalled on the Avenger series at Thor II.

Of course, the serious Calvinist inside me says don’t bother, but there’s some really good analysis out there that suggests movies like this tap the need that we all have for a Savior. Everyone wants to know there’s something or someone out there stronger than the evil. We need heroes.

Hebrews 11 is the famous chapter about heroes of the faith. I read it again this morning and it is inspiring. It’s like reading the Cliff Notes version of the Old Testament. But this morning, three things struck me about this group.

First, they were all sinners like me. In fact, verse 34, as part of a list of what made them so successful, says that their weakness was turned to strength. The only thing special about this group was their total dependency on God.

Second, this is the cloud of witnesses that watches me run my own race (Heb 12:1ff). Too often we read Hebrews 11 and 12 separately, and miss the fact that these witnesses aren’t generic, they have names like Abraham and Gideon. That’s supposed to inspire me; these heroes are in the stands cheering me on, like former team members still wearing the school jersey.

But the third thing is that, as inspiring as it is to have these faith heroes watching my race, there’s a better hero for my wall poster: Jesus himself. 12:3 recommends that I consider Jesus, who endure so much opposition from the world, as my inspiration not to grow weary and lose heart.

Oh, and one other thing that’s noted about all the great faith heroes: they didn’t get comfortable here on earth, fitting in and chasing earthly goals. No, 11:16 says, “Instead, they were longing for a better country - a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for him.”

There’s the goal of running well. And those are heroes to inspire.

No comments:

Post a Comment