Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Friday, November 13, 2015

work, work, work

A lot of people think being a Christian is a drag. To an unbeliever, my religion can look like a bunch of rules and not much fun. 

I can see why they think that, especially when I read Paul’s first letter to the church in Thessalonica. Look at what he’s thankful for (1:2-3): “We always thank God for all of you and continually mention you in our prayers. We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.”

He remembers their work, labor and endurance. And later on he underscores the point by reminding them how hard he worked when he lived with them.

That sounds attractive, doesn’t it. Work and labor? Challenges that require endurance? Sign me up!

But then I look at the other words: work is produced by faith. Labor is prompted by love. Endurance is inspired by hope. My faith makes me eager to work alongside God as he reaches out to the world. My love prompts me to labor in service to God’s people. My hope inspires me to continue on as the world laughs. 

The truth? When I look at the cross, I’m so grateful that I want to do work and endure. I’m eager for it. It gives my life meaning, it gives me a chance to do something for King Jesus. It brings me joy. And isn’t that what all of us want? Meaning in life, and joy as we live it?

No comments:

Post a Comment