Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

imitate the good

It's easy to want to be someone else. As a soldier, I tried to model myself after Colin Powell. When I ran competitively my hero was Sebastian Coe. I admired these men because they dominated their fields.

I know now that I should pick my role models for something other than their worldly success. John (or whoever actually wrote 3 John) wrote (v11), "Dear friend, do not imitate what is evil but what is good. Anyone who does what is good is from God. Anyone who does what is evil has not seen God."

John was writing about a guy named Diotrephes, who loved to be first and was throwing his weight around in the church. He wouldn't let anyone welcome outsiders, not even a respected elder of the church like John.

This letter was addressed to Gaius, who evidently was good at hospitality. In essence, John's message to him was that even though Diotrephes looked like a big deal - he had followers and authority - Gaius should be careful not to be like him. Diotrephes abused his power, and he led his people in a bad direction.

"Imitate what is good." Being a great strategist or exceptional athlete is impressive but not inherently good. Our talents take on the moral overtones of the purposes we use them for.  I need to look for and emulate people who are kind and generous and encouraging and helpful. No one would call them heroes, I guess, but they can be my heroes.

No comments:

Post a Comment