Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Friday, March 18, 2016

first things first

I love the story of Gideon, the timid guy from the weakest tribe who God found in a hole in the ground and turned into a great warrior. Gideon and his 300 routed the vast hordes of Midian and sent them running, delivering God’s people.

It was a mighty work done by the might of God, but before Gideon could do that, God had a smaller job for him. I read about it in Judges 6:25-26 “That same night the Lord said to him, ‘Take the second bull from your father's herd, the one seven years old. Tear down your father's altar to Baal and cut down the Asherah pole beside it. Then build a proper kind of altar to the Lord your God on the top of this height. Using the wood of the Asherah pole that you cut down, offer the second bull as a burnt offering.’"

The first thing was to end Baal worship in his own family and town. The second was to build a place of true worship there. Only then was Gideon ready to do God’s work.

See, that’s why I love this story. Gideon was a poor follower of God, just like me. Gideon had dabbled in Baal worship along with everyone else, just like I flirt with worldly things. But where I tend to think my sin disqualifies me for God’s work, this story reminds me that none of us really qualify, but that all of us are clay God can mold into whatever his people need.

As flawed as I am, God takes my efforts on His behalf and makes something from them. That’s another form of grace, else the fruit I show would be a poor harvest indeed. But to start I need to turn my back on my little clay gods and give true worship. First things first.

No comments:

Post a Comment