Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

God's timing

Saul was a terrible king, but I often feel kind of bad for him. Saul did a lot of things I might have done. 

For instance, in 1 Samuel 13, Saul is outnumbered, his enemies are ready to attack, and his own army is shrinking by desertion every day. Saul is waiting for the priest Samuel to offer a sacrifice to God before the battle, but Samuel hasn’t come. Out of time, Saul does it himself, and just as he finishes, there comes Samuel, who demands to know what Saul has done. 

Verses 11 and 12 say, “Saul replied, ‘When I saw that the men were scattering, and that you did not come at the set time, and that the Philistines were assembling at Mikmash, I thought, “Now the Philistines will come down against me at Gilgal, and I have not sought the Lord 's favor.” So I felt compelled to offer the burnt offering.’"

For this, Saul’s chance at a family dynasty is ended. Because he disobeyed, God would find another king for Israel. But, I want to protest, Saul was the commander in the field, the guy in contact with the enemy, the one who had to fight. Samuel was the un-disciplined non-combatant who didn’t show up on time. Military operations require precise timing, and the exigencies of the battlefield demanded action!

I want to say that because I’m looking at it as a problem for people to solve. I forget that God had it handled. Samuel wasn’t late, he was right on time.

God’s timing never looks right to me. I often think, “Really? Now? I sure could have used that yesterday.” Or maybe, “Not now, Lord, look at my schedule! Maybe next month?” That’s because I don’t trust, and because I sometimes have different priorities than God.

My timing is usually about what’s easy and convenient for me, which is another way of saying I’m self-centered. I think if I was less wrapped up in myself and more attentive to the needs of God’s people, I’d more often be amazed than frustrated by God’s timing.

No comments:

Post a Comment