Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Monday, March 7, 2016

trust

I don’t like not knowing. To me information is critical to good decisions. My experiences so far make me think that what I don’t know will hurt me somehow. So even though I don’t join them, I sympathize with Christians who pore through Scripture and watch for omens, trying to figure out what God will do and when, what heaven and hell are all about, what’s going on with angels and demons. These seem like important things, and I want to know.

But I don’t need to know. Everything I need to know has already been told to me. Deuteronomy 29:29 says, “The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law.”

When we say someone has secrets, we usually mean something bad. But God has his secrets, and I believe it’s for my own good. I believe that some of what God holds back would just confuse me and make me doubt - I can’t understand the things of God any more than an ant could understand quantum physics. 

Some of what he holds back might be dangerous. There might be things that would tempted me to try to influence the future, or play with spiritual power. And some things might be secrets just because I’m not ready yet, like the old birds-and-bees talk that is too much information for toddlers.

I know everything I need to know. The rest I take on faith, and that in the end may be the whole point. In this culture of science and knowing, God wants my trust. And it isn’t trust if he has to prove he has it all covered.

No comments:

Post a Comment