Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

always on

There’s a phrase that is used in business for people who never, ever lose their focus: Always on. When you say someone is always on, you mean that all of their energy and attention stays on their work, even when they go home at night.

That would be a good phrase to describe Anna. 

Luke 2:36-38 “There was also a prophet, Anna, the daughter of Penuel, of the tribe of Asher. She was very old; she had lived with her husband seven years after her marriage, and then was a widow until she was eighty-four. She never left the temple but worshiped night and day, fasting and praying. Coming up to them at that very moment, she gave thanks to God and spoke about the child to all who were looking forward to the redemption of Jerusalem.”

Anna never left, never quit, never did anything else. She fasted and prayed and worshiped and praised, full time. It’s no surprise that she was at the temple when Mary and Joseph brought Jesus; she was always there. 

Anna’s reaction is what you’d expect of someone who’s always on: she gave thanks, and then she witnessed. She spoke to everyone, or at least everyone who still cared about the Messiah.

That seems like an excellent example to follow: Give thanks, and then witness. For this gift of the baby Jesus, for the gift of the cross, for the gift of the risen Savior, for the gift of the Holy Spirit, for the gift of my salvation – all these gifts of Christmas, I should give thanks. And then I should bear witness. 

I don’t know if anyone will ever say that I’m always on – I like my family time and my friends too well. But at least I can take the time regularly to imitate Anna.

No comments:

Post a Comment