Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Monday, December 12, 2016

patience

When will Jesus come? No one knows. He told us he’ll surprise us, coming like a thief in the night. It’s been thousands of years and we’re still waiting. Except a lot of people aren’t anymore. It’s been too long, and the post-Christian world has moved on. 

I think that’s what happened to the Jews before Jesus was born. After so many centuries, they didn’t really believe he’d show up in their lifetimes. 

I used to wonder why. God chose when Jesus would be born, and the time of his return. Why make us wait?

Peter tells  me why, in 2Peter 3:8-9: “But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.”

God isn’t concerned about time, he cares about hearts. If by waiting a while longer one more soul will turn to him, isn’t that worth it?

My challenge is remaining focused on Jesus while I wait. He isn’t here, and I have a lot on my plate. It’s easy to think life is about my job, my hobbies, my families. When I do that, I increase the odds I’ll be looking the wrong way when, like a thief in the night, Jesus finally shows up. 

I don't want that. I need disciplines in my life that keep me watching and waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment