Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Monday, December 26, 2016

amazed

Yesterday as I listened to the pastor at our Christmas service it struck me what an emotional rollercoaster the shepherds rode at that first Christmas. Look at that part of the story again: 

Luke 2:18-21 “And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, ‘Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger. . . .’
“So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger. When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child, and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them.”

They went from terrified, to reassured, then curious, then joyful. In the end, they were eager to share this wonderful thing. You get the idea that they were probably exhausted by the time they got back to the sheep.

I’m not sure what part of that would have been the most amazing. Was it when they realized that rather than being in terrible danger, they were instead getting the awesome news their people had waited centuries for? Was it when they realized, upon seeing the baby king, that it was really true – the sign the angel gave was spot on? Was it when they, some of the least important people in Bethlehem, suddenly had this story that amazed everyone they told it to?

Throw in an angelic concert and it all adds up to something beyond their wildest dreams.. I imagine they remember and told stories about that night for the rest of their lives. 

I felt a little bit sad and kind of jealous – it’s been a long time since my faith was that exciting. But it could be. I have the same great good news, and I know a lot of people who need to hear it.

That would make a great resolution this year – to go looking for Jesus, to truly try to find him in that way that’s so exciting and life-changing. I’d like to be so overwhelmed that I can’t help talking about it to everyone I meet. This good news should never feel ordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment