Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Friday, December 2, 2016

no doubt

Sometimes I have a problem with doubt. Mostly what I doubt is myself – what if I don’t understand this correctly? If I’m wrong, things are going to be different than I’m planning on. What if I put my faith in the wrong thing? What if I’m really trusting in my own idea or opinion?

That kind of doubt, of course, leads next to doubt about what will happen. Will the weather really be safe to drive through? Can that person really do what I’m counting on her to do? Will I be able to do what I promised?

I don’t let myself think like this very much – I believe you do the best you can with planning and preparation, and then just go with whatever happens. But there are moments when I recognize that I’m depending on things that are out of my control. 

My devotional readings this morning made me think about that, because of all the things I sometimes doubt, I have never doubted the return of Jesus. Not even for a second. Not once have I wondered, “What happens if he doesn’t come back? What if he changes his mind?”

I have no doubts because scripture is full of the promises of God. I read one again this morning, in Isaiah 54:10 “’Though the mountains be shaken
and the hills be removed,
yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken
nor my covenant of peace be removed,’
says the Lord, who has compassion on you.”

I don’t doubt because God promised. God is all-powerful, so he can do whatever he wants. God is love, so he wants to do good things. God called me into a relationship with him, so he wants to do good things for me. God’s promises are more certain than the sunrise.

I imagine a lot of Jews before the birth of Jesus wondered if the Messiah would ever come. It would be easier, I think, to have doubts before then. God’s plan up to that point involved harsh judgment at the hands of invading nations, and exile in Babylon. It permitted the occupation of Israel by the hated Romans. It included virtual silence from God – no prophets in Israel – for the last 400 years. Some doubt would be natural.

But I live after the first Christmas and after the first Easter, and after Jesus’ ascension. I know that God made good on that promise, and I know that my Redeemer lives. There is not space for even a flicker of doubt, not in what Jesus plans to do or whether he can do it. Doubt in myself, yes – am I really worthy of this salvation? Doubt that Jesus will come? Absolutely not. Watch and wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment