Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, February 23, 2017

Finding favor

I’m jealous of Moses and humbled by him at the same time.

This morning, I read a conversation between Moses and God, in Exodus 33. Here’s part of it, verses 13-17, with Moses speaking at the start:

“‘If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with you. Remember that this nation is your people.’
The Lord replied, ‘My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.’
Then Moses said to him, ‘If your Presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here. How will anyone know that you are pleased with me and with your people unless you go with us? What else will distinguish me and your people from all the other people on the face of the earth?’
And the Lord said to Moses, ‘I will do the very thing you have asked, because I am pleased with you and I know you by name.’”

I’m amazed when I think about this. I picture Moses in his tent, with God’s presence shining around, just talking to God. And God replies. It seems so close, although Moses is careful to speak respectfully. I’m jealous of that amount of intimacy with God. I know I can have it too, but it seems like it would be different if I could sense God in the room and hear his voice.

And then, Moses dares to make a request that humbles me. He asks to be taught about God; he just wants to know God’s ways and gain God’s approval. I’m not sure what I would have asked God for in those circumstances, but based on a lot of my current praying it might have been more self-centered than that.

Moses models some critical behavior for me here. First, I should work hard on my relationship with God. That takes time, but intimacy in any relationship takes time. And then, my only desire from that relationship should be to know God better so I can obey better.

Someday, maybe, if I do this, I too can hear God say, “I am pleased with you and I know you by name.”

No comments:

Post a Comment