Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Friday, February 10, 2017

hardened

Because I am loved by God, and saved by his choice, I don’t really understand how blessed I am. I say “because” to mean I have no idea of what it’s like not to be.

Sometimes, though, scripture gives me an inkling, like it did this morning when I read Genesis 10. Verses 27 – 28 read like this:

“But the Lord hardened Pharaoh’s heart, and he was not willing to let them go. Pharaoh said to Moses, ‘Get out of my sight! Make sure you do not appear before me again! The day you see my face you will die.’
‘Just as you say,” Moses replied. “I will never appear before you again.’”

God is fierce in his defense of his people, and unforgiving of those who abuse them. He made sure that Pharaoh would experience the full measure of his judgment – he hardened Pharaoh’s heart. Moses’ reply  - “Just as you say. I will never appear before you again.” – chills me. Pharaoh is going to get exactly what he demands from Moses and from God.

It’s a warning, stark in its bluntness. God can be fierce in his anger, and unrelenting in his condemnation. And when God condemns, there is no salvation. Literally, there is no salvation. I can’t think of anything more sad or fearful than that.

It makes me so very grateful that God called me to him. And it makes me more determined than ever to fight for those souls I may be able to influence. I want to be just as fierce in prayer for the unsaved as God is against those who oppose him and victimize his people. May he grant me the strength and constancy to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment