Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Monday, February 20, 2017

social responsibility

There’s a lot of talk since the election about social responsibility. Since we’re polarized as a country, of course there are only two positions being argued, but neither really matches up with what I’m reading today in scripture.

The following are excerpts from Exodus 22:18-29, a section titled Social Responsibility

“If a man seduces a virgin who is not pledged to be married and sleeps with her, he must pay the bride-price, and she shall be his wife.” Okay, I’m guessing the left won’t like this one, in this age of sex without accountability. But God made us for marital faithfulness, since that’s his picture of the church’s relationship with Jesus.

“Do not allow a sorceress to live.” How intolerant! Again, probably not going to be a favorite of the all-religions-are-the-same progressives, but God knows that occult practices open our souls to evil.

“Do not mistreat or oppress a foreigner, for you were foreigners in Egypt.” Certainly the alt-right, and to varying extent most on the right, tend to put the needs of foreigners far behind our own. God reminds us that, really,  we’re all foreigners whose citizenship is supposed to be in heaven.

“Do not take advantage of the widow or the fatherless. If you do and they cry out to me, I will certainly hear their cry.” Widows and orphans are scriptural short-hand for anyone who is powerless, like most people who get entitlements. Or like poverty-stricken white coal miners. I guess everyone is OK with neglecting someone, based on which side they belong to. God reminds me here that he is for the helpless and against anyone who doesn’t help them.

“Do not blaspheme God or curse the ruler of your people.” It’s interesting that God put these two things in the same command, but I think he’s telling me that any legitimate authority comes from him.  Either side will curse a President of the opposite party. I’ve always supported any President once elected, but that can be hard. I think that pleases God, though.

“Do not hold back offerings from your granaries or your vats.” OK, I think most on either side struggle with this. Leftists want the government to tax us instead of giving to philanthropic causes; rightists seem to try to hang onto their money unless they’re truly people of faith. But there’s huge blessings in giving, for the giver as much as the recipient.

My lesson this morning: I can’t trust the things I’m reading on blogs, or the accusative sound bites I hear, as I try to be socially responsible. There’s only one source of that knowledge: the God who designed us all and puts us in our nations and neighborhoods. To help klutzes like me, he even came down and lived here a while to show me how.

This morning, I pray that I can see people as God sees them, and not as evil or threatening, or entitled either to other people’s money or our tolerance of any level of wrongness. We’re all the same; we need help sometimes, and sometimes we need loving accountability.

No comments:

Post a Comment