Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, February 9, 2017

staff

This morning I read the familiar story of the ten plagues, and then Psalm 23. Those passages seem very compatible, especially when I read verses 4 and 5 of Psalm 23 in the context of the Egyptian persecution of the Israelites:

Even though I walk
through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.

The staff of God’s man Moses did wonderful miracles on behalf of his people in Egypt. In this dark valley of suffering and oppression, the Israelites didn't have to fear. God was with them.

It’s a good reminder again for me that no matter where I go, I don’t go alone. I used to sometimes go into physical danger; now I walk regularly into conflicts that are verbal and passionate. Sometimes I feel alone, but I never am.

Any child of God knows that feeling, of not really being alone. It’s one of the greatest blessings of faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment