Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

believing unbelief


This morning, a very well-known story and well-known moral show that even the familiar can have a lot of power.Here’s the story, from Mark 9:20-23:
“When the spirit saw Jesus, it immediately threw the boy into a convulsion. He fell to the ground and rolled around, foaming at the mouth. Jesus asked the boy’s father, ‘How long has he been like this?’
“‘From childhood,’ he answered. ‘It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us.’
“‘“If you can’?”’ said Jesus. ‘Everything is possible for one who believes.”’
“Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, ‘I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!’”
Who can’t relate to that? I do believe. I believe fervently that only Jesus can save. I believe fervently that I have no hope except in him. I know with all my heart that a life of service and obedience to him will bring me more joy than any other thing I can do.
But . . . . Why then do I still worry? Why do I plan so carefully for my retirement? Why do I think the things I do make me more spiritual than other people? Why do I still look for my happiness in the same places everyone else does?
Lord, I do believe. Help me in my unbelief.

No comments:

Post a Comment