Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Wednesday, October 4, 2017

not in vain

Sometimes I’m tempted by the race up the career ladder. I think the first-class travel, limousine rides, nice suits and deferential aides would look good on me. All the years plugging away in Sioux County, raising a family and investing in a small community, can seem like they haven’t gotten me very far.

But then I’m reminded of the truth so succinctly stated by the Psalmist in Psalm 127:1-2:
“Unless the Lord builds the house,
the builders labor in vain.
Unless the Lord watches over the city,
the guards stand watch in vain.
In vain you rise early
and stay up late,
toiling for food to eat—
for he grants sleep to those he loves.”
Whatever gifts I have weren’t given to me so I could be an important somebody. They’re for the good of God’s people. If I try to use them to construct a self-centered career, I’m on my own. God is trying to build something different than that, and wants me to be too.
Probably that’s why I’ve been as blessed as I have. In my efforts to honor my wife and children and mom and dad, and to do ministry in my local church, I’ve for the most part made unselfish choices. And I’ve often marveled at what opportunity has come my way in this place that can look so much like a backwater. Like flyover country.
The biggest possible success and the more sure thing are the same thing: to join God in building his house, and in watching over his people.

No comments:

Post a Comment