Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Friday, October 6, 2017

remember

Nehemiah did a lot for God’s people, things that cost him money and took up his time. He lived in Spartan circumstances away from his home. And every time, he had the same prayer. Here’s an example, from Nehemiah 13:22b:
Remember me for this also, my God, and show mercy to me according to your great love.”
I find a couple of things interesting about this prayer. One is that Nehemiah believes that doing these good things will do him some good. He wants God to remember them. This goes beyond the initial glory given to God, and the strengthening of the relationship; Nehemiah wants God not to forget the things he’s done.
Yet Nehemiah still puts his hope on God, not himself. Remember, he says, and show mercy. Mercy not according to Nehemiah’s deeds, but according to God’s great love. This seems to me to be a good balance of works and grace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment