Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

all power

There’s something fascinating in the story of the Last Supper as told by John. I never noticed it before, but I find it hugely comforting. In fact, to me it’s inspirational.

Look at the first three verses of John 13: “It was just before the Passover Festival. Jesus knew that the hour had come for him to leave this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end.
“The evening meal was in progress, and the devil had already prompted Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, to betray Jesus.”

I was caught by the fact that the devil had already, at the start of the meal, prompted Judas. I tend to think of my own temptations as being internally generated. I want bad stuff, the opportunity pops up, and it’s my own weakness combined with the desires of my heart that lure me into sin. Through that lens, I’ve tended to understand Judas’ betrayal as the product of his greed combined with disappointment that Jesus wasn’t grabbing the political power that was in his grasp. 

I know that Satan tempts, and his minions do too, but I also know that the Bible says we are tempted by our own desires, and that seems more in line with my own experience. So it was interesting to note that this was one of those times when Satan got directly involved, rather than just enjoying the havoc that his lies cause as they propagate throughout the world. It makes sense considering everything that was at stake.

But then, look at verses 26 and 27: “Jesus answered, ‘It is the one to whom I will give this piece of bread when I have dipped it in the dish.’ Then, dipping the piece of bread, he gave it to Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot. As soon as Judas took the bread, Satan entered into him.”

Did you catch it? The devil prompted Judas, but he couldn’t possess Judas until Jesus gave him permission! As John noted in verse 4 of this chapter, God gave all power to Jesus. Satan knew that. He wanted Judas as his tool to assassinate Jesus, but he couldn’t have Judas until Jesus let him.

I’m dumbfounded by two things. The first is the complete power that Jesus has over Satan. That’s an amazing thing to contemplate every time I think Satan is winning in this country.

But the other is even more wonderful: Jesus went ahead anyway. Jesus knew of Satan’s plotting, he knew of the torturous death to come. God had given him all power; he could do whatever he wanted. He could have denied Satan, and he could have defied Pilate. But he went ahead, because that was the only way to save us. 

Knowing full well, he did it anyway. By choice. It blows my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment