Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, October 9, 2018

any time

There’s a fascinating story in John 7 where Jesus’ brothers, not really believing he’s anything special, are prodding him to prove himself. Here’s how it’s related in verses 3-6: 

“Jesus’ brothers said to him, ‘Leave Galilee and go to Judea, so that your disciples there may see the works you do. No one who wants to become a public figure acts in secret. Since you are doing these things, show yourself to the world.’ For even his own brothers did not believe in him.
“Therefore Jesus told them, ‘My time is not yet here; for you any time will do.’”

When I read those verses this morning, it hit me that too often, I’m as pushy with Jesus as his brothers were. Sometimes it’s things like, “Why don’t you just show yourself and prove to the world you exist?” “Why don’t you just strike like a lightning bolt from the sky and put and end to those abusers?” “How long do we have to wait until you bring justice?”

Sometimes it’s more personal, like when I’m sick of praying about something and set out to solve it myself. Or I don’t even pray because I know God will be too patient and I want results.

For me, any time will do. In fact, for me, too often my attitude is, “Any time now, Jesus. I’ve waited long enough.” But God’s timing is exquisite. Beth Moore recently commented on a saying of a favorite teacher of hers: “God is never late, but he doesn’t very often take advantage of a good opportunity to be early either.” That’s how it seems to us, but the truth is, God always acts exactly at the point of greatest impact, of highest value.

I need to remember that. When I want to say, “Any time now,” to Jesus, I need to remember when he said, “Any time might do for you, but I know the right time, and this isn’t it.” That seems to me to be a basic part of faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment