Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, October 30, 2018

mercy triumphs

This is a rough political climate. We can debate the factors, but the outcome is that in our churches and communities, we’re more willing to fight over the upcoming election than at any time I can recall. We have a heightened willingness to get in each others’ faces over what we see as mistaken, even dangerous, views on national policy and polity. And on social media, look out.

It gets easier every day to discern who the good guys and bad guys are. At least, if we listen to the talking heads and more strident voices on our side.

There seems to me to be little of Godliness in all of this. James 2:12-13 says: “Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment.”

Aren’t we all about judgment? Am I not all about judgment? As an converted independent (formerly Republican) I’m appalled at the scheming and intransigence of the progressives. I’m equally disgusted with the callousness and tribalism of the far right. As far as I’m concerned, none of them are good for our country.

But that’s my judgmental side at work. James doesn’t encourage that, because Jesus wouldn’t either. James reminds me that the old law of judgment has been replaced by the Jesus-era law of gratitude. He points out that instead of legalism, I’m supposed to be moved by the mercy I received. Jesus didn’t judge me, he loved me. That’s the standard.

Christians are not called to judgment, not even when it comes to politics. We’re called to mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment, especially in the cosmic sense. 

Can I do it? Can I suspend my judgment and show loving mercy to all those people who are so obviously wrong? I don’t know, but if I believe James I have to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment