Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Wednesday, October 10, 2018

language barrier

I noticed something about witnessing: you can’t do it right away. Even if I’m talking to a neighbor or someone at work, there’s a language barrier. We don’t use words in the same way; our ideas of things like marriage or lying or justice aren’t the same.

My brother Eric tells me that’s caused by world view. People with different world views – say, atheists – see things differently. He’s right, of course – older brother, so that’s a fact of my life – but I think there’s more to it.

Here’s how Jesus explained in when he debated with the Jewish leaders in John 8: 43-45: “‘Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say. You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies. Yet because I tell the truth, you do not believe me!’”

Those verses suggest to me that it goes back to spiritual language. Jesus-followers understand the language of truth, even if they don’t always speak it as fluently as they should. Love, kindness, patience – all those spiritual gifts – are a natural part of our lexicon. Even more, grace and forgiveness and gratitude. The language of truth is rock-solid, never changing.

Satan uses a different language to seduce people from the truth: he speaks lies. He talks of competition and scarcity, of individual rights and greed and selfishness. He lures with indulgence and self-gratification; his language is slippery and morphs with the times, so that it can mean almost anything you want.

That’s why witnessing doesn’t work right away. I’ve found that to make them interested in what I might have to say, I should first intrigue them with the things I do. I know I’m getting there when they start asking questions like, “Why would you do that?” Or “How can you be happy right now?”

There are some words they understand right away, words like guilt, depression and fear. Those are words they feel in their gut, not matter what lies they’re thinking in their heads. That’s why the things they are drawn to are contentment, joy and peace, three words they don’t understand yet but want to.

In the end, it’s a language barrier. Even if we set aside our Christian jargon, we can’t get started until they begin to see, however dimly, the difference between a truthful or lying life.

No comments:

Post a Comment