Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Beatings

Sometimes scripture seems so relevant for today. Sometimes, not so much. Today I was really tempted to write some things off as in-applicable, but I have learned to be cautious in doing so.

Here's the passage I'm wrestling with (1 Peter 2:18-20) "Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh. For it is commendable if a man bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because he is conscious of God. But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it? But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God."

Obviously the idea of slavery and beatings are abhorrent, and the easy answer is that we are now in a new time and these things don't exist anymore. Slavery is far from dead in this world, and beatings a commonplace. I wonder what Peter would really say to a modern-day slave?

What I struggle with is that I understand God to be un-changing, and principles are supposed to be timeless. So if there was ever a time when God condoned slavery, then dare I say He changed His mind? That's one of three alternatives facing me. The other two are just as hard for me to grasp: that Peter made a mistake that somehow got incorporated into scripture, or that God is willing to overlook sins that are societal norms.

Obviously, I haven't resolved this question. The rest of the passage is actually pretty easy for me. Suffer unjustly? Of course that's going to happen; I've seen it hundreds of times. In those cases, I can choose to fight back, to get even, but then I look just like the world. That brings no glory to God. If I choose to accept the injustice in the name of a greater principle, there are two good outcomes. My strength and character grows because I chose obedience over my own rights, and the world sees and wonders.

But the whole slavery-beating thing? Even without understanding, I just have to accept that God is God, and He is good. Sometimes faith takes faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment