Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Blessed

Sometimes it's easy to worry. We worry about a lot of things we can't control, like the weather or the economy. We worry about a lot of things that never happen, like losing the farm or an axe murderer ringing the doorbell.

I don't worry very much, but when it comes to the thought of standing up for my faith, sometimes I do. I think may be my peers will think less of me. I wonder if being visibly Christian will make anyone complain - these days you have to be careful about religion at work. I wonder if other managers might respect me less.

When I was a 17-year-old in Basic Training, it took me a week to dare to pray over my meal in the mess hall. I thought I'd be eaten alive; turned out no one really cared, as long as I didn't expect them to.

I need to hear Peter's advice, given in 1 Peter 3:13-14: "Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. 'Do not fear what they fear ; do not be frightened.'"

My problem: I can see people disliking me, or mocking me, as harm. Maybe that's what Peter means when he says not to fear what others fear. We're so sensitive about what people think of us; we want to be respected, valued. We want to be popular.

In my own (possibly peculiar) context, this verse sounds to me like God saying, "Don't worry about what people think; don't be afraid of possible damage to your professional reputation. Most people are going to accept you because everyone likes a good person, and if a few don't, well, that's your chance to prove your faith."

I want to be more like my parents - I can't picture either of the being wishy-washy or apologetic about their faith. They certainly seem to have the blessing this verse promises.


No comments:

Post a Comment