Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

To don't

1 Peter 2:1 is one of those great live-like-this lists, although this one is really a not-to-do list. Peter says, "Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind." The "therefore" refers to what he says in chapter one about our salvation. Because of God's grace, Peter says, I need to clean house, throw out some stuff I won't need anymore.

Malice - that's wanting bad things to happen to others. No more hoping that opposing player gets knocked out of the game. Or that a rival embarrasses herself in front of the world.

Deceit - misleading others about what you do or think. Don't lie, don't imply. Instead, open up a window to that inner room of secrets and let everyone see. Tell the truth about what I did and why. Admit things. Let the sun shine in and kill the mold. Of course, living so I don't want to lie about it is the bigger challenge.

Hypocrisy - that's pretending I'm better than I am. The trick is, I get so good at going along with expectations, it's hard to know when I'm being a hypocrite. The difference probably is in whether or not I'm trying to impress anyone.

Envy - that's being jealous when something good happens to someone else. Paul often pairs it with malice (see above) to describe how we relate to others outside of grace - there's an example early in Titus 3. I should rejoice in the good fortune of others; our God has an abundance of blessings, enough for all.

Slander - saying bad things about people. Peter adds "of all kinds" so I can't infer, or just pass on what someone else told me. We're supposed to build people up, not tear them down.

Think of the potential impact on my relationships: just being myself, totally transparent, harming no one and rejoicing with everyone. Looks like I have a lot to don't today.

No comments:

Post a Comment