Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Messenger

I usually shift my devotions during Advent, so I'm taking a month-long break from Peter. 

I have the same thought every Advent season: I think Gabriel had a great job. This is what he told Zechariah in Luke 1:19: “I am Gabriel. I stand in the presence of God, and I have been sent to speak to you and to tell you this good news."

Gabriel was God's messenger. He stood in God's throne room, heard God's plans, and sometimes God would turn to him and say, "I need to you take a message to so-and-so." In addition to his role in the Christmas saga, we know that Gabriel appeared to Daniel in his visions; he's the one who explained what the visions meant. That makes me wonder how many other times in scripture, when an un-named angel brought a message from God (Abraham, Jacob, Gideon, Balaam), it might have been Gabriel.

Even if it was only the few instances when he was named, think of it. Gabriel knew the whole plan. He might have been there the day Satan and his followers were cast down; he certainly understood what Jesus would do here on earth. He had to have know about the cross, but he also likely knew all about the new Zion as described in Hebrews 12, where angels and the saved will rejoice together in the streets.

Knowing all of this, taking messages to Zechariah and Mary that foretold the birth of the Messiah and the one who would prepare the way for him must have been a lot of fun. I don't know if angels experience emotions like we do, but if it were me, I'd feel like a little kid taking part in a great surprise, something you know is going to be really good.

But if it looks like that much fun, why don't I do it? I've been entrusted with the same great message, only after the fact. I've been sent by the same God. But the sad fact is, I like to be the messenger to the ones who have already heard. I don't get excited about telling it to the ones who need it most.


No comments:

Post a Comment