Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Built up

No deep thoughts today, just some pleasurable reflection on God's providence.

1 Peter 2:4-5 is only tangentially about providence. "As you come to him, the living Stone –rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him– you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ."

My gratitude for providence relates to two things.

First, I'm being built up, not building myself up. I'm grateful that this work, so important to me, doesn't have to be done by someone as weak as me.

Second, the building involves fitting me into the group. Peter uses the analogy of a house, with each stone fit into place, and also of a holy priesthood. I relate a little better to the second example, because it makes me think of a group of like-minded people joined together in a common purpose - kind of like an Army unit. I'm grateful that I'm not expected to do the work alone, but that I am a part of something bigger than me.

I also like the work: offering spiritual sacrifices. Sacrifices of time, of money, of love . . . all my work is really an offering. And if i bring my best offering, God will accept it because Jesus will make up the difference between what I do and perfection.

That's why I'm thinking about providence: God takes this Mission Impossible of renewing Greg into something useful and acceptable, and makes it doable by joining me with the saints, and with Jesus Himself. The simple act of coming to Jesus results in me being built up.

No comments:

Post a Comment