Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

act justly

Justice is hard. Or maybe I just make it that way.

Psalm 106 really challenged me this morning. It started with verse 3, which reads, “Blessed are those who act justly, who always do what is right.” At first I felt pretty good about that, because I think I’m a just and fair person.

But as I considered things, I realized that I’m good at knowing the right thing to do when the situation involves strangers. Closer to home, though, I want to give a pass to my family, my friends, myself. Then the right thing quickly gives way to what I call mercy but is probably really just wanting life to be easy.

I wondered why that is, and then the Psalmist helped me out. After a long recitation of the history of the Israelites, he got to verses 35 and 36: “. . . but they mingled with the nations and adopted their customs. They worshiped their idols, which became a snare to them.”

That’s why! When I, or people I like, do those things I know aren’t right but want to excuse anyway, it’s usually one of those go-along-to-get-along things. The culture permits and encourages things that God calls sin, so we conform to our surroundings by doing them. Then, to compound things, I would rather not be the judgmental person that society equates with Christianity.

Have I mingled with the culture to the point that I’ve adopted their customs and worship their idols? I don’t want to think so, but I do live a lot like everyone around me. And when you try to live right on the line of what’s permissible, you will inevitably step over at some point.

My conclusion: Justice is hard for me because I look at right and wrong through the eyes of culture as much as scripture. Even though my heart screams that things are wrong, it also longs to belong. I don’t want society to exclude me because I’m prudish or rigid or intolerant.

It’s no wonder that at the end of this Psalm the author cries out, “Save us, O Lord!” But for the grace of God, I would be lost to this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment