Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

wondrous plans

This morning, I was reminded of a tremendous, joyous truth, one I too often overlook: God has wonderful things in mind for me.

I was reading Psalm 40 when verses 4 and 5 struck me: “Blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, who does not look to the proud, to those who turn aside to false gods. Many, Lord my God, are the wonders you have done, the things you planned for us. None can compare with you; were I to speak and tell of your deeds, they would be too many to declare.”

Sometimes, probably because I live such an easy life, what looms largest in front of me are my so-called problems. The truth is, I don’t really have problems. I have annoyances. God has blessed me with great relationships, a fantastic job, good health, plenty of wealth. What I consider problems are things like a wet spring that doesn’t let me put my landscaping in.

In truth, I’ve experienced wondrous things on my journey through this life, and this psalm reminds me that God has more planned. But I’m going to miss them if I try to live to my own agenda. Some of those wonderful things will seem like interruptions, some will look like they’ll take too much time. Sometimes in my busy chasing after what I think a good life is, I’ll miss the sunrise or the singing bobolink or the chalk drawing my grand-daughter made for me on my driveway.

And sometimes, because I can’t be bothered, I’ll miss the joy of the prisoner’s testimony or the gratitude of the flood victim. And often, because I’m basically a self-centered jerk, I miss the reminder of Jesus love for his church that Dawn tries to show me in my own home.

I suppose to a ladder-climbing career person or attention-seeking socialite these things don’t seem so wonderful. What makes them wonders is that, when I see them for what they are, my heart melts and I feel joy, the only true joy I’ve ever felt.

Because all of these things are teasers, little appetizers that hint of the true wonder to come. They’re daily proofs that God loves me. They’re promises of heaven. True wonders, indeed!

1 comment:

  1. A great reminder of our blessings and the "momentary struggles" we live each day on our journey to glory!

    ReplyDelete