Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, June 30, 2016

just lazy

It’s really easy to read Proverbs and think of all the other people they apply to. I did that this morning when I read Proverbs 10:26: “As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so are sluggards to those who send them.”

Between my various military assignments and my current job in charge of four manufacturing plants, I’ve probably been responsible for a couple thousand subordinates over the years. I know firsthand how frustrating it is trying to urge lazy people to get work done. It’s like pushing a rope.

My smugness faded, though, as I thought about my work for God. How many times hasn’t he put something he wanted me to do right in my path and I walked around it on the way to what I wanted to do? How many times hasn’t he laid a need or a dream on my heart and I listened instead to all the “yeah-buts” in my head? How many service projects haven’t I sat out because I think I’m already doing a lot, I’m busy enough?

Truth is, I’m probably vinegar to God’s teeth and smoke to his eyes more often than I please him with my good work. When it comes to kingdom work, God might use an old Army term to describe me: ROAD. Retired On Active Duty.

I don’t want to be a sluggard. I don’t want to be lazy about the things of God. Am I? Maybe I’m too hard on myself, but a lot of days I think I am. But I can get better at this too. Mostly it will be about matching my priorities to God’s, which I should be doing anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment