Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Friday, June 17, 2016

praise more than sacrifice

Maybe you’re like me. Maybe you’d rather do something nice for some than say something nice.

When I was growing up, we spoke fluent sarcasm in our house. I learned snark before it was a word. And to this day, it’s really hard for me to say good things about people or to them because I struggle to sound sincere.

I have the same problem with God. I spend a lot of time on what to do for Him, and not much time praising him. So when I read verses 30 and 31 from Psalm 69 this morning, I was prodded to change that. Those verses say this: “I will praise God's name in song and glorify him with thanksgiving. This will please the Lord more than an ox, more than a bull with its horns and hooves.”

My default love language for God is to bring the oxen and bulls, to give the money and do the work. Today, I bring praise.

Early this morning I sat on my porch with a cup of coffee. It was  gorgeous morning with just enough cool breeze to move the tall grass along the stream. Redwinged Blackbirds were singing, but that was about the only sound. It was a lovely time in a beautiful place - praise God for his wonderful creation!

Last night we rehearsed a reader’s theater production of WWII heroics of Deit Eman, who was active in the Dutch underground. Even on my fourth or fifth time through the script, I got chills at her description of the many small miracles and the large protections granted by God. Praise him for his providence, for her and all of us!

Tonight, Dawn and I are planning a quiet evening together. We just came home from 10 days of vacation with family, and had separate commitments each evening this week. She canceled an activity to free up the evening, and we’re planning some quiet, catching up time over grilled steaks and some really good wine my brother brought me from Tblisi. I’m so grateful for this talented, popular woman who wants most of all just to spend some time with me. Praise God for his institution of marriage, and for the bride he found for me!

Praise God from whom all blessings flow - all the grandkids’ laughter, the constant thoughtfulness of our kids, the great friends who combine happy hearts with dedicated faith, the abundant food and drink, the peaceful streets, the fine music and beautiful artwork, the soaring prose and funny quips, the changed hearts and healed bodies and calmed fears and soothed loneliness. Praise him, all you peoples!

I’m going to try to make this moment of conscious praise a habit. I think it will change my days.

No comments:

Post a Comment