Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Friday, June 9, 2017

defense

Sometimes I get angry on God’s behalf. When I hear people mock God, or see them desecrate the cross, I want to do something about it.

But God doesn’t need and probably doesn’t want my help. I say that because of what I read this morning, in 1 Samuel 5 and 6, about what happened when the Philistines captured God’s Ark of the Covenant and thought to display it as a trophy. That bit of arrogance ended up with the ark getting passed from town to town like a hot potato, with death following to each.

Finally, this, as recorded in 1 Samuel 5:10-12: “So they sent the ark of God to Ekron. As the ark of God was entering Ekron, the people of Ekron cried out, ‘They have brought the ark of the god of Israel around to us to kill us and our people.’ So they called together all the rulers of the Philistines and said, ‘Send the ark of the god of Israel away; let it go back to its own place, or it will kill us and our people.’ For death had filled the city with panic; God’s hand was very heavy on it. Those who did not die were afflicted with tumors, and the outcry of the city went up to heaven.”

The Israelites didn’t have to rescue God. God scourged his enemies until they sent the Ark away.

God can and will defend himself if he deems it necessary. That frees me from having to be combative, so that I can instead try to win people with gentleness.

No comments:

Post a Comment