Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, June 22, 2017

strengthener

1 Samuel 23:15-16: “While David was at Horesh in the Desert of Ziph, he learned that Saul had come out to take his life. And Saul’s son Jonathan went to David at Horesh and helped him find strength in God.”

That’s a striking picture of one key thing brothers and sisters in Christ do for each other. When trouble comes and we are disheartened or fearful, our Christian family can step up around us and help us see that whatever we’re facing isn’t too much for God.

I need to remember that, remember to give that kind of support. I’m pretty good with service – when someone’s in need I think of ways to help out, like doing chores for them or running errands, or watching kids or pets. Dawn and I bring meals. Those kind of things are the first things I think of when someone is facing hard times.

I also pray. In my study, as I have my devotions, or wherever I am when a prayer-chain email comes through, I beseech God on behalf of those troubled people.

But those visits are harder for me. I don’t naturally stop by to encourage people. Oh, I’m pretty good at encouragement if I run into people in church or downtown, but even then my words sometimes are more “So sorry for your trouble” than actual, helpful encouragement.

Jonathon traveled to see David, and helped him find strength in God. I admire people who do that, people who take the time to sit and weep, and pray together, and share scripture. I could, and I know I should. I wonder why I don’t?

No comments:

Post a Comment