Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

shares

I read something this morning that I think might challenge some of our American ideas of what’s fair. I tend to be a person who questions not the existence of but the extent of the entitlements our government pays to those who need the social safety net. It’s easy for me to think it isn’t fair that I pay so much in taxes to support all these people.

But this morning, in 1 Samuel, I read of the time that David pursued some raiders who had plundered his city and made off with the treasure and families of all his men. He chased them down, but the pursuit went on so long that about a third of his men grew exhausted, and he left them with the baggage train. He caught the raiders, defeated them, took back all they had plundered from David’s men and others, and headed home.

Here’s the part that interests me this morning, from verses 30:21-25: “Then David came to the two hundred men who had been too exhausted to follow him and who were left behind at the Besor Valley. They came out to meet David and the men with him. As David and his men approached, he asked them how they were. But all the evil men and troublemakers among David’s followers said, ‘Because they did not go out with us, we will not share with them the plunder we recovered. However, each man may take his wife and children and go.’
“David replied, ‘No, my brothers, you must not do that with what the LORD has given us. He has protected us and delivered into our hands the raiding party that came against us. Who will listen to what you say? The share of the man who stayed with the supplies is to be the same as that of him who went down to the battle. All will share alike.’ David made this a statute and ordinance for Israel from that day to this.”

This passage isn’t really about entitlements, but that’s where it strikes my heart. David’s just position struck me because I could see myself wondering why I had risked my life and those other men would gain the advantage. My military training immediately sees the truth that in any army there are many roles not directly involved in combat, but no combatant can succeed without support. David’s decree is both just and sensible – what better way to make sure that your combat support is as diligent as your combatants? But my heart still says, “But they didn’t . . . .”

Just like I want to think about those on government entitlements. I would never withhold that support from the people I personally know who get it. Those people enrich our society in a variety of ways, not the least of which is faithful parenting of beautiful children. They give their time freely to help other people, and contribute in a myriad of ways. When I look at my own neighborhood, I wouldn’t change any of it. But in the abstract, I can sometimes think these folks are getting something for nothing.

David reminds me this morning that my focus should be on my contribution, not someone else's, and on the plenty that I have, not what someone else has. God’s providence for me is more than enough, as are the abilities he’s given me. I need to focus on using those things, and use them, as my poorer neighbors do theirs, for the best effect for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment