Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Monday, June 26, 2017

too late

God won’t wait forever, and he does’t give limitless do-overs. There are some things it’s too late for.

That’s what I’m thinking this morning after reading about King Saul’s desperate attempt to regain God’s favor before a big battle. This is the story, in 1 Samuel 28, of the time Saul went to a witch and had her raise Samuel’s ghost. Here’s what that got him, from verses 16-18: “Samuel said, ‘Why do you consult me, now that the Lord has departed from you and become your enemy? The Lord has done what he predicted through me. The Lord has torn the kingdom out of your hands and given it to one of your neighbors—to David. Because you did not obey the Lord or carry out his fierce wrath against the Amalekites, the Lord has done this to you today.’”

Time had run out for Saul. He and Jonathon both would die in the upcoming battle, and David would become king, just like God had told Saul earlier. It was too late to try to change what was to come.

That doesn’t mean Saul’s soul was lost – we don’t know about that. But Saul’s role as king, chosen by God and annointed by Saul, had been squandered.

God is under no obligation to give me a happy ending here on earth, even if I were to follow him perfectly. If I try to go my own way I especially have no right to expect God’s blessing. It’s easy to use his grace and the fact that he has given me a lot of chances as an opportunity to do what I want. That’s a risky choice; God is long-suffering and forgiving, but he doesn’t have to, and may not, treat me any better than he did Saul.

I’m grateful for God’s grace, and I don’t ever want to push God. Sometimes, though, I thoughtlessly or selfishly start to act like my life is for my benefit. When I catch myself doing that, I’m going to try to remember Saul.

No comments:

Post a Comment