Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Friday, November 24, 2017

conflict or love


Christians are supposed to be loving; I get that, and I like to think that I am. I believe in love as a fruit of the Spirit and a core Christian attribute. Yet I’m challenged by Proverbs 10:12:
“Hatred stirs up conflict, but love covers over all wrongs.”
I feel OK about the first part of that verse, because I’m getting better and better at keeping away from conflict. I don’t participate in many arguments; I certainly try not to start them. And I’m learning to be a calming voice and have successfully ended conflicts.
No, it’s the second part that makes me cringe. Sometimes I don’t let love cover wrongs. In fact, there are some wrongs I treasure. I hang onto them and pull them out once in a while to remind myself of how right I am and how wrong other people are.
I mean, really, my love is supposed to overlook those clueless drivers who inconvenience me? Or the idiot commentators who just don’t get how bad the other party is? I’m supposed to give people a pass when they do dumb things that cause me more work? Because that’s how Christian’s love?
Yes, I think I am. But often I don’t, which is why I cringe.
God is love, and the world will know we are his followers by our love. The fact that I can struggle with it just shows how distinctive actually doing it will make me. And that’s what Christians are supposed to be: distinctive, meaning noticeably different from non-believers. Through our lives, we’re supposed to give people an idea of what the love of God is like, and how it can change people.
A love that covers over all wrongs. That’s Christian love. Can I do it? Yes. Will I?

No comments:

Post a Comment