Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

not a hint

Sometimes I can feel pretty good about myself, but usually not when I'm reading Paul. Take this, for example, from Ephesians 5:3-4:

But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God’s holy people. Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.

I think there are hints of impurity in my behavior; in fact, I know there are. My best actions are tainted by selfish motives and diluted commitment to Jesus. My worst actions are, well, pretty bad.

I also cringe at some of the things that come out of my mouth. Foolish talk? Yeah, sometimes. Coarse joking? I laugh at them more than I tell them, but I can't claim there are no coarse jokes in my conversation. Not obscenity – I'm pretty good on that, don't like it so I don't participate – but that's about the best I can claim.

Paul is talking about spiritual excellence here, and it's a reminder that excellence involves always striving to be the best I can be. And even though I'm for the most part a faithful servant, I can be better than I am. These are just a few of the things I can work on.  

No comments:

Post a Comment