Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Friday, November 17, 2017

investments

People who know about money tell me I'm not very smart with it. They say that because I don't like debt; that makes me do dumb stuff like keeping my mortgage small when the interest on it is low. I'm not trying to become a millionaire, or even become richer than I am. In fact, the problem with a lot of money is that you have to manage it, and I'm happiest when I can go all day and never once think about money.

I wouldn't exactly brag about my wisdom either, but I got a little bit of affirmation this morning while read in Proverbs 3. Look at verses 13-15 
"Blessed are those who find wisdom, 
 those who gain understanding, 
 for she is more profitable than silver 
 and yields better returns than gold.  
She is more precious than rubies;  
nothing you desire can compare with her." 

I do spend time most days trying to add to my wisdom and understanding. In fact, while I don't like to think about money, I consider a day wasted if I haven't added to what I know. It's especially wasted if I don't spend some time pondering what I read in the Bible. 

And this chapter in Proverbs promises some good things if I do that, in verses 16-18: 
"Long life is in her right hand;  
in her left hand are riches and honor.  
Her ways are pleasant ways, 
 and all her paths are peace.  
She is a tree of life to those who take hold of her; 
 those who hold her fast will be blessed." 

Long life, and pleasant and peaceful paths to travel on – those are better returns, aren't they? In fact, aren't these things often the thing we think we'll get with our money? It's a reminder that the good things in life are available to the poorest among us, and not guaranteed to the wealthiest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment