Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Monday, November 13, 2017

worthy lives


Did you watch Saving Private Ryan? Remember the scene where Ryan as an old man visits the tombs in Arlington National Cemetery of the soldiers who died to rescue him and get him home? I often think of what old man Ryan said to his family at that point: “Tell me it was worth it.” He wanted some assurance that his life had in some way returned fair value for the lives spent on his behalf.
I thought of that again as I read Ephesians 4:1-3: “As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.”
What would be a life worthy of a Jesus-follower? One, Paul says, marked completely by humility and gentleness. A patient life, one where we bear with each other in order to keep the unity of the Spirit. One that values the bond of peace.
I don’t see any room in these verses for the sarcasm and snark that seems to be everywhere. I don’t see room for tribalism either. I don’t see where one-finger salutes fit in or pushiness at the cash register or impatience in traffic. In fact, I can see all kinds of ways that my life doesn’t match Paul’s guidance – I’m not a fan of the one-finger salute but otherwise all these things find their way into my bad days.
But, by God’s grace, on my good days I’m starting to live more and more just this kind of life. And that makes me feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment