Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, November 23, 2017

giving thanks


This morning, at our Thanksgiving service, we’re going to have a time for open mic. It’s the formal church version of the question that is asked so often at this time of year: “What are you thankful for?”
There isn’t any doubt what Paul gave thanks for most of all. He said it in most of his letters, like his second one to the Thessalonians. Here’s the pertinent part, from 2 Thessalonians 1:3-4: “We ought always to thank God for you, brothers and sisters, and rightly so, because your faith is growing more and more, and the love all of you have for one another is increasing. Therefore, among God’s churches we boast about your perseverance and faith in all the persecutions and trials you are enduring.”
I think that’s a great thing to be thankful for, that Christian brothers and sisters are growing in faith and in the love they have for each other. I am thankful for that, in my church and my community.
I don’t think I’ll say it at open mic, though. I think most people would think that was kind of weird. But I’m going to be thinking it. And I’ll pray it.

No comments:

Post a Comment