Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, January 11, 2018

compassion

I’m not a big fan of crowds. I like space around me, and I don’t like all the noise - crowds often overstimulate me. On top of that, people are often at their worst in crowds. Our impatience comes out quickly when we’re competing with or waiting for other people.

I learned at a workshop a number of years ago to pray to see the world, and especially to see people, as Jesus sees them. I pray that prayer regularly, and today it convicted me, because of my attitude towards crowds and because of this verse, Matthew 9:36: “When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.”

Jesus looks at all the people swarming through Walmart or the mall or bunched up at the concession stand or waiting at the intersection. He sees these people that I think are inconveniences at best and willfully stupid when my temper gets frayed, and he sees victims. He sees the ones the world scorns and Satan lies to. He sees his image-bearers who are struggling to live obediently.

His response to what he sees is this: he has compassion. That seems to be the inescapable conclusion of my pondering this morning. If I want to treat people as Jesus treats them - treats me - then I need to feel not frustration, not contempt, not impatience, but compassion.

No comments:

Post a Comment