Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Monday, January 29, 2018

we don’t know

Jesus was teaching in Jerusalem, and the religious leaders challenged him. Specifically, they challenged his authority to teach. And then came this fascinating exchange, recorded in Matthew 21: 24-27:

“Jesus replied,‘I will also ask you one question. If you answer me, I will tell you by what authority I am doing these things. John’s baptism—where did it come from? Was it from heaven, or of human origin?’
“They discussed it among themselves and said,‘If we say, “From heaven,” he will ask, “Then why didn’t you believe him?” But if we say, “Of human origin”—we are afraid of the people, for they all hold that John was a prophet.’
“So they answered Jesus, ‘We don’t know.’”

Isn’t it interesting that the leaders didn’t just answer the question? I mean, there was a fixed answer. They believed one thing or another. But they didn’t just say what they thought. They didn’t give an honest response.

Instead, they considered possible answers they could give, evaluated the advantages and disadvantages, and then gave a non-answer. In effect, they looked at the conversation as something to win, saw they couldn’t, and backed out.

I said this was fascinating, and to me it is because it reflects so accurately the way so many conversations go. We don’t answer honestly what we think about immigration or the tax law; we give the answer that best serves the interests of our tribe. We don’t say what’s really in our hearts regarding our or other people’s sin, but instead avoid conflict. We don’t tell the truth about what we do, but instead exaggerate our contributions and gloss over our failures.

In so many ways, we’re like the Pharisees and Saducees -we’ve forgotten how to tell the truth. In fact, we often don’t even think about truth, we say the things that get us what we want. If we’re for something, we refuse to acknowledge anything bad about it. And when we’re opposed to something, we can’t see any possibility for good in it.

Jesus gave the Jewish leaders a chance to show that they could accept or give a truthful answer, and they proved they couldn’t. Yet he’s given me the answer he refused them; I know where Jesus’ authority came from. And by that authority he commanded me to promote unity. In light of that truth, do I do any better?

No comments:

Post a Comment