Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, January 25, 2018

who then?

I read again this morning Jesus’ teaching to the disciples that it’s easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get into heaven - you can read it Matthew 19. The nub of this teaching moment is this, from verses 25 and 26:

“When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked,‘Who then can be saved?’
Jesus looked at them and said,‘With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.’”

Why were the disciples astonished? Was it because rich people had the resources to do whatever they want? Rich people were the healthiest and best fed, and they had the best tools and equipment. They could hire help. If they couldn’t get something done, then who could?

It’s a very familiar passage, but it’s also a good reminder that we can’t save ourselves. Being healthy and strong won’t do it. Being strong willed won’t either, nor is there a technology that can help us. The fact is, we know everything we have to do for salvation, but it’s completely beyond our capability. We’re un-save-able.

Except God found a way. That’s the core of the good news: God wanted to save us and he send Jesus to do what we couldn’t. He gave that much for us.

And here’s the good news I always cling to: since I couldn’t save myself, I don’t think I can un-save myself either. Oh, I have my struggles still, but I don’t think God will ever let go of me. Especially considering what he paid for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment