Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, January 4, 2018

three-fold ministry

Jesus emerged in public at his baptism, went into the wilderness for his fasting and trial, and when he came out, John the Baptist was in prison. So Jesus, fulfilling prophecy, went to Capernaum, the home of Simon and Andrew, whom he called to be disciples. There he began his ministry, and this is how he did it, from Matthew 4:23:

“Jesus went throughout Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom, and healing every disease and sickness among the people.”

Probably basing himself in Simon Peter’s house, Jesus launched a ministry of three parts. He preached a message of repentance and hope everywhere he went - this is making converts. He taught in the synagogues - this is discipling followers. And he healed the sick - a ministry of care and mercy.

It strikes me that, since the church is here on earth to continue the work of Jesus until he comes again, that these three things must be the work of the church. And they should be my work too. As I go about the life Jesus has brought me to, I should look for those opportunities to win people to Jesus. I should freely teach, coach and mentor believers with less experience than I have. And I should care for those who need my help.

Doing those things would be a very adequate answer to the question, “What would Jesus do?” Because it’s exactly what he did.

No comments:

Post a Comment