Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Friday, January 26, 2018

unfair

The problem I have with grace is that it isn’t fair.

I was baptized as an infant, made profession of faith as a young adult, and have been an active church member ever since. I’m diligent in my devotions and intentionally work to integrate my faith with the things I actually do day to day.

And yet, Harvey Weinstein, the serial rapist, has access to the same grace I do. Jesus will forgive Larry Nasser, the doctor who molested 140 young girls, if Nasser repents. Adolph Hitler, Saddam Hussein, the Las Vegas shooter, any ISIS commander - none of them is beyond the redemptive power of Jesus blood.

I don’t like that. I want to think that heaven will be full of people I admire and free of those I abhor.
But Jesus, in Matthew 20, says the kingdom of heaven is like a vineyard owner who hires workers throughout the day, but pays them all the same. Look at verses 13-16, Jesus’ response to “It’s not fair!”

“‘But he answered one of them, “I am not being unfair to you, friend. Didn’t you agree to work for a denarius? Take your pay and go. I want to give the one who was hired last the same as I gave you. Don’t I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?”
“‘So the last will be first, and the first will be last.’”

The fact is, compared to Jesus my soul is as black as anybody’s - my arrogant attitude toward others’ sins proves that. Far from being resentful that Jesus includes other sinners, I should be grateful that he included me.

No comments:

Post a Comment